The mission of the Principal IT Engineer is to engineer and provide implementation and support for the customer corporate and hosted IT environment including servers, network and storage solutions. The Principal IT Engineer further ensures the security, scalability, resiliency, recoverability and availability of these environments.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Design, engineer & implement infrastructure solutions for compute, network & storage environments.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge and skills working with Virtualization services (VMWare), network (Cisco), Linux/Windows Operating systems, Dell/EMC compute, Active Directory services, Storage solutions (Dell/EMC Isilon), backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- Assist with capacity planning and risk management and make recommendations for strategic decisions.
- Provide technical guidance and support for Infrastructure backup management and monitoring solutions
- Provide day-to-day administration and maintenance as required for infrastructure environments
- Investigates new technologies and identifies opportunities where these technologies can enhance capabilities in a cost-effective manner.
- Expert knowledge of virtualization technologies, networking, disaster recovery design and implementation. Proficient knowledge of SAN / NAS technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate technical issues in a concise and easily understandable way for both technical and business audiences
- Demonstrated ability with problem solving techniques; such as root cause analysis to resolve issues.
- Self-starter capable of working in a fast-paced environment with minimal direction.
- Ability to support IT infrastructure in a production 24x7 environment.
- Deliver documentation including logical, and physical solution specifications & operation guides.
- Actively participate in significant incidents, ensuring that root-cause analysis is identified, and knowledge gained is applied for process improvement.
- Measure and report on availability, response time, backups and other metrics as required
Education and Qualification:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, MIS or related subject or 5 years of related work experience.
- Minimum 10 years direct experience in IT Engineering role
- Engineering skills with virtualization services (VMWare), network (Cisco), Linux/Windows Operating systems, Dell/EMC compute environments, Active Directory services, Storage (DellEMC Isilon), backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- Working knowledge of scripting tools and utilities (shell, PERL, etc.)
- Experience with Tintri storage, Datto and Veeam recovery solutions are a plus
- Experience working with SAS applications a significant plus
- At least 7 years as a Principal level IT engineering professional & 10 years overall experience
- Experience in capacity planning, monitoring and reporting on IT infrastructure
- Detail oriented; Demonstrates thoroughness and strong ownership of work
- Good team player with a strong willingness to participate and help others
- Able to prioritize in a fast moving, high pressure, constantly changing environment
- Strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills